The race for the Women’s EHF EURO 2020 is about to begin with the qualifiers draw being held in Copenhagen on 4 April 2019 and the first matches to be played in the last week of September this year.
Following the end of the registration phase this week, the European Handball Federation has released the pots for the qualifiers which will feature 28 teams.
Norway and Denmark as organisers are already qualified but the qualification still
features household names such as 2018 champions France, silver medallists Russia and bronze medallists Netherlands.
- Pot 1: France, Netherlands, Russia, Sweden, Romania, Montenegro, Germany
- Pot 2: Serbia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Spain, Slovenia, Poland, Croatia
- Pot 3: Austria, Belarus, Slovakia, Turkey, FYR Macedonia, Ukraine, Italy
- Pot 4: Switzerland, Iceland, Portugal, Lithuania, Faroe Islands, Kosovo, Winner Qualifiers Phase 1
The teams will be drawn to seven groups of four teams each. The first two teams of each group will qualify for the final tournament.
Qualifiers Phase 1
Israel, Finland, Greece and Luxembourg have to play a first qualification phase which will be staged in a tournament format from 31 May to 2 June 2019.
The draw to determine the right to organise the tournament will take place on 20 March 2019 at the EHF Office in Vienna.
Playing dates for qualifiers and final tournament
- Round 1: 25/26 September 2019
- Round 2: 28/29 September 2019
- Round 3: 25/26 March 2020
- Round 4: 27/28 March 2020
- Round 5: 27/28 May 2020
- Round 6: 31 May 2020 (according to the applicable regulations, all matches will throw off at 16:00 hrs Vienna time)
The Women’s EHF EURO 2020 takes place in Norway and Denmark from 4 to 20 December 2020.